So, I've been thinking and dreaming of different ways I could put my skills to use to make a few display hoops, and I came up short as I decided that patchwork and hoops may not go together (although since then I've re-considered that decision).
In the end I thought I would give a simple embroidery stitch a try (with the knowledge that any more than a few stitches would cause me to lose all patience) as well as try my hand a free machine embroidery, another skill I've been meaning to pick up all these years.
So I attempted a little cross stitch, and although what I ended up with may not resemble any actual type of stitching (I think the canvas was too fine a weave for what I was doing), I think these little faces are pretty darn sweet.
I did my second little project on the sewing machine, after being oh so bored from cutting out triangles for actual bunting, I decided it would be much easier to do bunting this way:
I just applied my triangles with steam a seam bonding web, and then freehand stitched around them roughly. I'm pretty pleased with the results, given that the entire time I worked on it I was terrified that I'd get my fingers caught in the needle.
A darning foot is now number one on my to-buy list.
As always, these items are up for auction on ebay, to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Oh and by the way, I just realised I'm official past the 1/3 way point in the year - that's 18 crafts down and 34 more to go!